Inter-Association Consensus Statement: The Management of Medications by the Sports Medicine Team.
Chang CJ, Weston T, Higgs JD, Ohkubo M, Sauls A, Tedeschi F, White M, Young CC. J Athl Train. 2018 Dec 7. doi: 10.4085/1062-6050-53-11. [Epub ahead of print]
“This ‘‘Inter-Association Consensus Statement’’ can serve as a resource for all members of the sports medicine team and their affiliated organizations when reviewing best practice guidelines for the management of medications in sports medicine facilities and other settings.” Major sections of the document cover an array of topics:
- Description of a Sports Medicine Facility
- Overview of Current Federal and State Laws
- The Sports Medicine Team
- Medication in Athletic Training Clinical Settings
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Recommendations and Best Practices
- Consequences of Noncompliance
- Avoiding Opioid Misuse and Abuse
This statement has been endorsed by the American College Health Association, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, Association of Schools of Allied Health Professions, National Athletic Trainers’ Association, National Basketball Athletic Trainers’ Association, Professional Baseball Athletic Trainers’ Society, and Professional Hockey Athletic Trainers’ Society.