Recommendations for participation in competitive and leisure time sport in athletes with cardiomyopathies, myocarditis, and pericarditis: position statement of the Sport Cardiology Section of the European Association of Preventive Cardiology (EAPC).
Pelliccia A, Solberg EE, Papadakis M, Adami PE, Biffi A, Caselli S, La Gerche A, Niebauer J, Pressler A,, Schmied CM, Serratosa L, Halle M, Van Buuren F, Borjesson M, Carrè F, Panhuyzen-Goedkoop NM, Heidbuchel H, Olivotto I, Corrado D, Sinagra G, Sharma S. Eur Heart J. 2018 Dec 14. doi: 10.1093/eurheartj/ehy730. [Epub ahead of print]
The Sport Cardiology Section of the European Association of Preventive Cardiology (EAPC) has released a position statement on participation in competitive and leisure time sport in athletes with cardiomyopathies, myocarditis, and pericarditis. The contents cover an array of topics:
- Shared decision making process
- Diagnosis of cardiomyopathy in athletes
- Hypertophic cardiomyopathy
- Dilated cardiomyopathy
- Left ventricular non-compaction cardiomyopathy
- Arrhythmogenic (right ventricular) cardiomyopathy
- Athletes with isolated ECG abnormalities
- Athletes with cardiomyopathy and implanted cardioverter defibrillator
- Prescription for leisure-time physical activity in patients with cardiomyopathy
- Classification of sport activities
Many sections discuss topics like electrocardiography, echocardiography, cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging, exercise testing, and risk stratification.